Saturday, August 1, 2009

End Of July


Well the kids were back to school on the 13th July, think they were as relieved as much as I was. I hadn’t taken any time off work, and in true work style they gave me lots of extra hours, which meant the kids were here with Tom, which is OK and Tom is more than capable but they couldn’t really do anything and were going stir crazy with boredom.

14th I got a text from the lovely Maria asking if I wanted to buy 7 free range chickens from her for $30, chicken is really expensive over here and very small, Maria’s hubby Jon works for Ingham’s chickens, and they can buy surplus stock every now and again and he had bought a load of chickens. After getting Jason from Frankston we called round at Maria and Jon’s to pick up the chickens, big mistake, they had just finished eating and asked us to join them for a glass of wine, thankfully it was Tuesday night and Jason was playing football and could only have 1 glass. Jon just kept filling my and Maria’s glasses, we got home after 8, don’t ask specifics, I don’t remember, I fell through the door and went to bed. Jason fed the kids before going to football. They always say that impromptu nights are the best and this really was one of those nights. We had a lovely hour with them and a good laugh as usual, although I did regret it the following day.

Thursday the 16th was Hayley and Pauls citizenship ceremony, Jason and I were babysitting for Millie and Carter for them, they were then picking up a Chinese takeaway and we were going to have a couple of celebratory drinks with them. It was a lovely evening, the kids were well behaved as usual, and Jason even got them to go to bed before H and Paul were home.

Friday 17th, Morgan, Mollies school friend was coming for tea was, she was lovely and I didn’t know they were here apart from when it came to meal times. Her mum came and picked her up at 7 and didn’t leave here until nearly 9, she had a glass of red wine with us and we had a good chat, she was really lovely and asked us lots of questions, that’s one thing I have noticed about the Ozzies they do like to know what you do and how you have managed to get here.

Saturday 18th was Hayley and Pauls citizenship party, as most of their friends have young children it started at 3 in the afternoon, it was a lovely day, we met up with some people we had already met and also made some new friends which was lovely. As usual we were the last to leave the party.

On Sunday we did some more packing ready for the move, then we called round at Peppa and Owens and had a Sunday drink and a natter with them, it’s always lovely to catch up with them, but with the hours and times I have been working, just don’t get round as often as I would like.

As is usually the norm and you may have gathered we don’t really do a great deal midweek, well we try not to, Jason is up early for work and I am not enjoying my new job with the Shire so am finding it a strain and quite hard work, without having a hangover or being too tired to have to deal with too.

Friday 24th was a busy day, we were having another viewing of the house, and still loved it as much as we did when we put in the offer, Jason thought it was smaller than he remembered, but it was fine. We had invited Justine, Kieron and boys over for supper, the kids had prawn cocktail, chicken nachos and cheesy potato skins, we had prawn and avocado salad with aioli, then lamb shanks braised in red wine, garlic, onions, rosemary and thyme, creamy pureed potato and broccolini, Justine made cheesecake for dessert and it was delicious. While Justine and I chattered, Jason and Kieron had a game of golf on the Wii, then we all started playing poker, not such a good idea, 8 bottles of wine later, they left at 3.45 in the morning.

It was a great night, but not so great when the alarm went off on the 25th so that I could cook, a turkey, 2 chickens, sausage meat and stuffing balls, pigs in blankets, chocolate muffins, and chocolate pikelets, thankfully I had made the white chocolate and cointreau orange mousse on Friday and it was chilling in the freezer, this was all in preparation for our Christmas in July celebrations. I had lots of timers set on my mobile and kept going back to bed to catnap in between. We had said we would be at Peppa and Owens at 2, we eventually got there at 2.45 so not that late. It was a great day, with Lesley, Paul and Charlie, Kerrie, Eddie and Scarlett, and Diane, Mic and Seamus as well at all Pep and Owen’s kids. We had such a laugh, we played a few drinking games and also Cranium, and had lots to drink too. The food was fantastic, we had all made loads, Kerrie did Prawn cocktail starter, then we had Turkey, chicken, Pork, Beef, Sprouts, 2 different types of carrots roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing as well as the things I mentioned above. Lots of desserts too, we really weren’t short of food.










Sunday was our Second Christmas In July with Hayley, Paul, Millie and Carter and Rozza, Andy, James and Emma, I was on starter duty, I wasn’t sure what to do, but had already decided that anything that didn’t need cooking was probably a good idea, it was a tossup between Prawn cocktail, pate or Antipasto, I couldn’t decide between these, and did all three. It was a lovely day, we knew we wouldn’t be too late as Hayley and Paul and Rozza and Andy have young kids. We had a lovely afternoon, Hayley did soooo much food, with Turkey and Pork and every type of veg you can think of. Rozza made the most delicious Christmas pudding and a pavlova. We had a few drinks with them, but not that much, and nothing at all when we got home, we were really good, in fact I think we’d had too much to drink all weekend and just didn’t want anymore.




Then back to work for the week, it was quiet as usual, we were waiting for Jason and My police checks to come back, we have had Tom’s over a week, but apparently Jason and I have a popular surname which is why ours took longer, we eventually got them on Thursday, which meant that we could give them to Ernst and Young and they could pass our visa application to Immigration. We still hadn’t received Tom’s medical’s back, but had been told that was Ok, as it would be on the system and immigration would be able to access the information they needed.

I wasn’t happy on Thursday when I received my work roster for the following week. I used to work at Domain, 3 days one week and 4 days the following week, from 7 in the morning until 1.30 as a patient care assistant, I did love the job, but once Sam started Mt Eliza getting Moo to school club for 7 each morning was not ideal. So I went to the local council as a personal carer and home help, working 20 hours over 5 days. Ideal you would think, that’s 4 hours a day, hum if I am lucky, should be school hours, but wasn’t, so I was having to pay for child care at the beginning and end of the day, I had days with huge gaps between jobs, so would start at 8.15 and not finish till 4.15. the first week in Augusts roster was just stupid, I get no time at all, I can’t remember the last time we did a proper food shop because we don’t have the time, I don’t get to see anyone apart from weekends, not what I moved here for, so I resigned. It was like a huge weight being lifted from my shoulders, not only did I not like the hours, but the job itself was not great, the personal care side was good, showering and dressing people, taking them to the hairdressers and shopping, respite care etc, but the home help was dreadful, they sent us into homes I wouldn’t let the dog live in, and expected us to clean them, I won’t go into the stuff I have been expected to do, it is too grose. I am hoping that Domain will have me back, so will be speaking to them next week, if not I will join an agency and will get work from that. Ok we are back to it not being ideal for Mollie, but when we move one of my new neighbours is a nurse and she had already said that she might need help picking her kids from school well she can take Moo to school for me and I will reciprocate when it comes to home time.

Friday was a busy day, I resigned and it felt sooo good, really, really good, I cannot tell you have much I hated that job, after work I called at Diane’s it was her birthday, I had missed her lunch as I was at work but called in to give her, her present. She was very good and gave me tablets as I couldn’t move my neck, I had hurt it earlier in the week and had suffered back ache all well, but had done something again, at some point on Friday. Jason rang when I left Di’s to tell me that our Permanent residency application was with immigration, finally which was great news and we had a meeting on Tuesday with our financial advisor to prepare our mortgage application. All good.



No comments: